I love pierogies! My favorite flavor of this Polish pasta pleasure is potato and cheese. Yummerz! Why not take these same ingredients and put it in another loved format? Lasagna. Yes, please. Here’s our recipe.
Pierogi Lasagna with Kielbasa
- 9-12 sheets of Lasagna noodle
- 1-2 Tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 c. mashed potatoes (made with salt and butter)
- 1 large smoked kielbasa, sliced (…or not, if you’re vegetarian)
- 1 large onion
- 2-3 red and/or green pepper (or substitute roasted vegetables like red pepper and zucchini as seen in the post photographs)
- 1 c. sour cream
- 1 Tbs horseradish
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4-1/2 lb Swiss cheese
1) Make your mashed potatoes. You can use instant potatoes if you wish, but I always like freshly mashed: ~6 potatoes, boiled and mashed with at least 1/4 c. each butter and milk, salt and pepper.
2) Boil Lasagna noodles. Bring a pot of water to a boil and drop your noodles in. Cook until almost al dente but still firm. (Noodles will cook more when lasagna bakes). When done, drain water. In a bowl, mix noodles with olive oil and salt. Set aside.
3) Grill vegetables. Thickly slice onions and peppers. In a saute pan or cast iron pan, grill vegetables until cooked and slightly charred.
4) Make horseradish sauce. Mix sour cream, horseradish, black pepper and salt. Set aside.
5) Assemble lasagna. In a greased 12″ x 9″ cake/casserole pan, layer 3-4 lasagna noodles on bottom. Spread 1/3 of mashed potatoes over noodles. Spread half of your grilled and/or roasted vegetables and half of your sliced kielbasa . over mashed potatoes. Top with 1/2 of your horseradish cream sacue. Layer with 3-4 more lasagna noodles and repeat previous layer. Top with with your final noodles, and the last of your potatoes.
6) Bake Lasagna. Place lasagna to bake for 30 min. at 350. After 30 min, remove from oven, top with your Swiss cheese, sliced or grated. Replace in oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes or until the cheese is nice and melted.
7) Eat and enjoy. This is the best part! The best parts of a pierogi meal in one, easy-to-eat package. Besides being a delicious dinner it also reheats to make a kickass lunch. This meal will destroy people’s brains and tastebuds, all at the same time. Two for the price of one!